Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chapter Two Summary

I was pleased to see the statement made in Chapter 2 that supported extensive factual knowledge being required for our students to develop the ability to analyze and think critically. Especially with the technology at our fingertips, we seem to have given up on students learning or memorizing facts because they are so easily accessed. We allow our young people to use calculators on the Dakota STEP test, even. They seem to have fewer experiences with memorizing anything.
Willingham had some excellent examples in Chapter 2 for explaining why background knowledge is vital to comprehension. Of course it provides the vocabulary, but we need the conceptual knowledge to put the words together and make something that we can understand and apply. Background knowledge also allows one to bridge logical gaps omitted by the author. One of my favorite lines in Chapter Two states, "For reading, students must know whatever information writers assume they know and hence leave out." We need to provide a solid foundation of knowledge for our students for them to make the most of what they read. Background knowledge allows chunking. I really liked the author's string of 18 letters that seemed impossible to memorize, yet when they were spaced differently, one could make a connection with certain groupings and therefore create more room in your working memory. X CIA NCAA is much easier to remember than XCI ANC AA. Background knowledge also guides the interpretation of the ambiguous sentences, as in the laundry example. Vague descriptions can be memorable if they have some relevance.
The author makes reference to the fourth grade slump. At this age, background knowledge becomes more important as being a good reader relies more on comprehension than on decoding. That gap widens between privileged and underprivileged children.
An interesting point to ponder was the statement that having factual knowledge in long term memory makes it easier to acquire still more factual knowledge. And the observation was made that best exposure to new vocabulary and ideas would come from books, magazines, and newspapers over the television, video games, and social networking sites with which most of our students are engaged.
Early on in Chapter 2, the author quoted Albert Einstein, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." He later said that Einstein was wrong, that knowledge is a prerequisite for imagination--the type that leads to problem solving, decision making, and creativity. I agree with the statements that "…facts without the skills to use them are of little value", however "…one cannot deploy thinking skills effectively without factual knowledge."
A chief issue for educators seems to be the evaluation of which knowledge takes priority to be taught. We must also ensure that our students have the necessary background knowledge to carry out the critical thinking tasks.

3 comments:

  1. Willingham's comment about having prior knowledge is necessary in order to learn new material really hit home with me. This class is so challenging for me; I feel so inadequate trying to remember where everything is. I searched all afternoon for this blog! I took a basic computer class this summer taught by our computer instructor at the middle school. It was mostly a review for me, but I learned some new skills and revisited options that I had forgotten about or hadn't had time to practice, so I hadn't used them. I could see that some of my fellows teachers would get frustrated in that class because they were at a knowledge level below me. It all makes sense to me now; I was building on my prior knowledge while they were just getting the basics & had no prior knowledge.I feel their pain now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya!! I am one of those teachers that needs to basic knowledge review. I used to think I could manuever my way around but I have quickly found out that is wrong. Having this class has really helped me to realize that certain students may be in the same boat about other areas of school (math, etc) I think it is necessary to go back and teach the kids the knowledge that is necessary for them to master skills at a higher level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Willingham's statement about needing prior knowledge and always try to approach a lesson that I am teaching assuming that students may not have that knowledge. I think it is always my job to pre-teach some of that information to hopefully not leave any students behind.

    That being said, it is also necessary to assume that information that students were supposed to have mastered from previous years, has been mastered. Having to re-teach every concept makes it nearly impossible to master the new standards for the current year.

    ReplyDelete